Julius Caesar in Western Culture
Wiley, 07/03/2006 - 365 من الصفحات
This book explores the significance of Julius Caesar to different periods, societies and people from the 50s BC through to the twenty-first century.
- This interdisciplinary volume explores the significance of Julius Caesar to different periods, societies and people.
- Ranges over the fields of religious, military, and political history, archaeology, architecture and urban planning, the visual arts, and literary, film, theatre and cultural studies.
- Examines representations of Caesar in Italy, France, Germany, Britain, and the United States in particular.
- Objects of analysis range from Caesar’s own commentaries on the Gallic wars, through Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar, and images of Caesar in Italian fascist popular culture, to contemporary cinema and current debates about American empire.
- Edited by a leading expert on the reception of ancient Rome.
- Includes original contributions by international experts on Caesar and his reception.