« السابقةمتابعة »
And raise some special officers of might:
[Exeunt. Scene changes to another Street before the Sa
Enter Othelló, Iago, and Attendants, with
Torches. Iago, Tho' in the trade of war I have slain men, Yet do I hold it very stuff o'th' conscience To do no contrived murder: I lack iniquity Sometimes to do me service.-Nine or ten times I thought to've jerked him here under the ribs. Oth. It's better as it is.
Iago. Nay, but he prated, And spoke such scurvy and provoking terms . Against your honour; That with the little godliness I have, I did full hard forbear him. But I pray, Sir, Are you fast married ? for be sure of this, That the magnifico is much beloved, And hath in his effect a voice potential As double as the Duke's: he will divorce you, Or put upon you what restraint or grievance The law (with all his might t' enforce it on) Will give him cable. (17)
(17) This alludes to the streaks of light, like ropes, on Brabantio's person in the moon.
Oth. Let him do his spight; . My services, which I have done the signory, Shall out-tongue his complaints. 'Tis yet to know, (Which, when I know that boasting is an honour, I shall promulgate) I fetch my life and being From men of royal siege ; (18) and my demerits May speak, and bonneted,(19) to as proud a fortune As this that I have reached. For know, Iago, But that I love the gentle Desdemona, I would not my unhoused free condition Put into circumscription and confine, (yonder. For the sea's worth. But look, what lights come
Enter Cassio, with Torches. lago. Those are the raised father, and his friends : You were best go in.
(18) Royal siege. In fact there is a likeness of a crown over Othello's head, and thence it was that the same space in the play of Hamlet was assigned to the person of the King. (19) Othello's cap or bonnet, is drawn in
· such as it appears on his head in its prototype.
Oth. Not I; I must be found.
[nant. Oth. The servants of the duke and my lieuteThe goodness of the night upon you, friends ! What is the news?
Cas. The duke doth greet you, general ; And he requires your haste, post haste appearance, Even on the instant.
Oth. What is the matter, think you?
Cas. Something from Cyprus, as I may divine;
called for, (20)
(20) I incline to think that this singular word (hotly) was intended to involve a pun upon the first part of Othello's name, as its latter part might offer occasion for a more obvious pun, no less consistent with the diabolical fury with which he is hereafter seized.
Oth. 'Tis well I am found by you :
[Exit Othello. Cas. Ancient, what makes he here? [carrack ;
Iago. ’Faith, he to-night hath boarded a land-
Cas. Here comes another troop to seek for you. Enter BRABANTIO, RODOrigo, with Officers and
Oth. Holla! stand there. !
[They draw on both sides. Iago. You, Rodorigo! come, sir, I am for you, Oth. Keep up your bright swords, for the dew
will rust 'em. Good signior, you shall more command with years Than with your weapons.
Bra. O thou foul thief! where hast thou stowed
my daughter ; Damned as thou art, thou hast enchanted her : For I'll refer me to all things of sense, If she in chains of magic (21) were not bound, Whether a maid, so tender, fair, and happy, So'opposite to marriage, that she shunned The wealthy curled darlings of our nation, Would ever have, ť incur a general mock, Run from the guardage to the sooty bosoni Of such a thing as thou; to fear, not to delight? Judge me the world, if it is not gross in sense, That thou hast practis'd on her with foul charms, Abused her delicate youth with drugs or minerals, That weaken notion.-I'll have't disputed on; 'Tis probable, and palpable to thinking I therefore apprehend and do attach thee For an abuser of the world, (22) a practiser Of arts inhibited and out of warrant:
(21) The ideas of magic, incantations, and charms, have in all times been conceived to be coupled with the moon, and are often noticed in this play.
(22) An abuser of the world. This is referable to the moon, as not shining with her own lustre, but a borrowed one: this, too, explains the terms false and liar, frequently used in Hudibras and in the plays.