« السابقةمتابعة »
June 25, 1603.
King Richard II.
. Feb. 12, 1604.
the Enterlude of Henry VIII. before he
May 8, 1605.
Historie of King Leir and his three Daugh-
* Though it be uncertain whether this Interlude was Shakspere's King Henry VIII. or not, yet we have never heard of any other play, professedly written on the same subject; and have reason to think that our author's pero formance was produced during the reign of queen Elizábeth, on account of the compliment paid to her at the conclusion of it. ..
Nathaniel Butter was the publisher of Shakspere's King Lear. The particular cautions shown concerning the licence to print the present dramatick piece, might lead us to suspect it to have been Shakspere's, and that the sagacious Company of Stationers were of opinion that this compliment to the memory of the queen, might not prove very pleasing to her inglorious successor.
John Wright.] By assignment from Simon Staf.
ford, and consent of Mr. Leake, the tragical
July 3, 1605.
done in Yorkshire, by a Gentleman upon
Love's Labour Lost.
Aug. 6, 1607.
O&. 22, 1607.
* This is the King Lear before that of Shakspere..
I Perhaps this is Marston's comedy of What You Will. I have a copy of it dated 1607. What You Will, however, is the second title to Shakspere's Twelfth Night.
§ The Merry Devil of Edmonton is mentioned in the Blacke Booke by T. M. 1604. “ Give me leave to see the Merry · Divil of Edmunton, or A Woman kill'd with Kindnesse."
Nov. 19, 1607.
The Taminge of a Shrewe.
Nov. 26, 1607.
Shakspere, his Hystorie of King Lear, as
Edmonton, with the pleasant Pranks of
May 2, 1608.
gedy, written by William Shakspere. 167
* Bound up in a volume of plays attributed to Shake spere, and once belonging to King Charles I. but now in Mr. Garrick's collection. The initial letters at the end of this entry, sufficiently free Shakspere from the charge of having been its author. Ą aiij
May , 1608.
167 b. A book called Anthony and Cleopatra. ibid.
Jan. 28, 1608. Rich. Bonian and Hen. Whalley.) A booke called the History of Troylus and Cressida. 178 b.
May 20, 1609.
0&t. 16, 1609. Mr. Welby. ] Edward the Third.
Dec. 16, 1611. John Browne.) A booke called the Lyfe and Death of the Lord Cromwell, by W. S. 214 b.
Nov. 29, 1614.
Faulconbridge, bastard Son to Richard .. Cordelion *.
Feb. 16, 1616. Mr. Barrett. ] Life and Death of Lord Cromwell. 279
March 20, 1617. Mr. Snodham.] Edward the Third, the play. 288.
* Query, if this was Shakspere's King John, or some old romance like that of Richard Cour de Lion ?
OF THE STATIONERS-COMPANY.
John Wright. i th Sept. 17. 188.Company:
John Wright.] The comedy called Mucedorus *. 293 b.
- Fuly 8, 1619.
: Nov. 8, 1623.
Shakspere's Comedyes and Tragedyes, soe
* Bound up in a volume of plays attributed to Shakspere,